Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake!!!!


No Marie Antionette has not been resurrected! But I must certainly spill my guts and let you know that one of my favorite parts of planning any wedding is the cake tasting sessions. Yes I know they are not good for you but it is a serious guilty pleasure to which I must confess. In my experience in planning weddings, each cake has shown some side of the couple it is representing, the fruit filling, a favorite of the bride's or a reminder of the groom's grandmother's country home. The white chocolate frosting, a snow bunny's winter mountain in the middle of summer. In comings and goings with brides, I have encountered so many. But here are two standouts I want to bring to your attention, The chocolate raspberry above has a smooth and velvty taste sure to seal any wedding and reception with a kiss and set the foundation for a sweet marriage. The other is cultural and not yet a big hit in the US, but given the rate change in wedding trends, it just may be a norm in a couple of seasons. Mexican wedding cakes are more like sweet little cookies covered with white confectioner's sugar. What I find most interesting about these delicacies is that they closely mirror the original wedding cake. Yes, the original from centuries ago. During Medieval times, wedding guests were given firm to hard sweet cakes to through at the bride and groom as they exited the church en route home. The bread represented fertitlity and the sweet taste served as a meaure for good marriage.




No comments: